By Elijah Odhiambo
One of the greatest recognized audio streaming services on the planet is Spotify. At your fingertips, you have access to millions of musicians, songs and podcasts. Spotify as a digital music, podcast, and video service gives you access to millions of songs and other content from creators all over the world. Basic functions such as playing music are totally free, but you can also choose to upgrade to Spotify Premium.
Inasmuch as Spotify is quite popular, there are a variety of reasons you might want to end your membership and deactivate your account. Perhaps Spotify has grown tiresome to you, or you simply want to try out other streaming apps or softwares like Apple Music or Tidal as Spotify substitutes. It may be difficult to ensure that all of your data is completely removed from a website or app’s servers, much alone deactivate an account on any of them.
Here are a few steps on how to delete your Spotify account and all of its data.
By following the instructions below, you can delete your Spotify account forever. Keep in mind that you can only delete your Spotify account online prior. This means that if you have the Spotify program downloaded on your Windows computer, Mac, or mobile device, it will take you to Spotify’s support page.
- First, log into your Spotify account on your preferred browser. Then, click on your username in the top right corner. It will open a drop-down menu, where you need to click on “Account.”
- You will then be redirected to the “Account Overview” page, which includes details like your Username, e-mail, DOB, region, premium plan, and more. Scroll down to the end of the screen to find the “Close Account” section. Here, click on the “click here” link to go to the instructions page.
- Now that you are on the “Closing your account and deleting your data” support page, you will notice two different procedures – one for premium users, and the other for non-premium users. So, let’s look at how these differ in the sections below:
For Premium Users
If you are a paying customer, click on the “Close your account and delete your data” link under the “Got Premium?” section. Once you do that, the steps to delete your Spotify account are as under:
- The link will now take you to the account deletion page for premium users. Here, click the “Close my account and delete my data” button.
- When you click the button, the Spotify Customer Support Chat page will open up and the “Close my account” message will be typed in automatically. Here, you need to connect with a customer support representative to close your Spotify account permanently.
- The customer support executive will confirm your details with you and provide you with a list of options to choose from. Apart from the ability to close your account, you can change your email address or display name and cancel your subscription using the chat window. But we wish to delete our account, so select the “Close my account and delete my data” option.
- The support executive will then prompt you to confirm your email address, for which you need to click Yes. Upon confirmation, Spotify will send an account deletion link to your registered email.
- Next, head to your email inbox and find the mail from Spotify. Click on the “Close My Account” button to complete the process. Once done, your Spotify account will be completely deleted along with your data within 7 days. You can reclaim your account back within these 7 days if you decide not to delete the account.
If you are using Spotify for free and no longer wish to give the streaming giant access to your data, the steps to delete your Spotify account permanently are as follows:
- First, use this link to reach the account deletion support page. Here, click on the “close your account and delete your da2. Once you click on the link, it will initiate a five-step Spotify account deletion process. In the first step, you need to confirm your decision by clicking the “Close account“ button.ta“ link under the “Don’t have Premium?” section.
- In the next step, confirm your account details, the one that you wish to delete, and click on “Continue“.4. Then, Spotify lets you know about all the data you lose access to upon deleting your account. Here, select the “I understand” checkbox and click on “Continue” to proceed further.
- As part of the process, Spotify will then send an account closure link to your registered email address.
- Check your mailbox and click on the “Close My Account” button in the email from Spotify. This link will auto-expire in 24 hours. Also, you need to manually confirm your decision to close the account. Spotify will not close your account unless you provide consent to do so.
What Happens When You Delete Your Spotify Account
You will no longer have access to any of your Spotify data when you permanently deactivate your account, and all of your data will be permanently wiped out. Here is a list of the data you will no longer have access to..
- Your saved music, playlists, favourite songs, followers, and followings will all be lost.
2. Additionally, you won’t be able to utilize your Spotify username going forward.
- Your profile will no longer be searchable and no longer be accessible to anyone.
- Your Spotify account will also stop sending you emails and updates. As a result, you won’t have any access to your Spotify account or data from your end.
For tax, accounting, and regulatory reasons, Spotify will nevertheless be able to keep some of your information. The video-streaming powerhouse will also have access to the information required to settle any disputes involving your account or any other case requiring the resolution of fraud and grievances.